3.21.2011

Confessions


I have a confession to make. I have turned down the opportunity to participate in . . .

. . . my community's garden.

It's true! My apartment complex, which has plenty of green space, has agreed to allow residents to use some of the green space for a community garden! One very go-get-'em kind of guy appealed to the manager, who probably had to climb the Ladder of Authority before giving the all-clear on this project.

What ARE community gardens, you ask? They are gardens built in space which is specifically designated by the landowners for that use. It could be privately or commercially owned space, like mine, or it could be city-owned space (which are in major cities across the US). The space is divided up, and each participant gets to cultivate the land anyway he chooses: flowers, herbs, fruits/veggies. It can be ideal for urbanites who have no backyard to cultivate on their own. It is also great for people who want to experiment with their budding green thumbs!

A community garden in Vancouver, BC.

The plots in our new garden are about 5' square. That's not a ton of space, but after strolling through today, I see that my neighbors have squeezed veggies and herbs into every available inch. I'm excited to watch them grow!

So while I'm a HUGE fan of this community-enriching program, I also know my own weaknesses. I don't have a green thumb (no matter what you think based on the previously entry). The garden, which is just a short walk from my apartment, is also just far enough for me to forget to check on it daily, and it is too far for a watering can to be practical. As a girl I loved to visit my grandparents and help with their garden, which was large enough to grow hefty amounts of about 20 varieties of vegetables. I have a good sense of the work committment! All that to say I'm not ready yet.

But for those who embark on such a project, I wish you a healthy sense of community spirit and a green thumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment