3.25.2010

Etsy: Epic Fail?

I love crafts, crafting, dorky silly things, etc. etc. The list could go on forever. I was cruising around Etsy tonight and was absolutely astonished. When Etsy.com was first becoming popular, it was a cool online place for people to buy and sell their unique, handmade items. When I was browsing tonight, I learned that this is no longer the case! Popularity has ruined Etsy!

Check out this item sold by origamichristmastree: Wasabi Paper Crane.

Washi Paper Crane - Rabbits on the Moon
(Photo from origamichristmastree at etsy.com)

Hand-crafted? Yes
Beautiful? Yes
Insanely overpriced? Yes
I was into origami when I was in middle school, and a paper crane made from nice origami paper is absolutely not worth $5.50 + $1.85 shipping.
FAIL.

These sweet drawer pulls from HomeDecorCrafts are remarkably similar to the Melon Knob sold by Anthropologie!

Clear Hand Cut Glass Knob Cabinet Furniture Drawer Pulls
(Photo from HomeDecorCrafts at Etsy.com)

Hand-crafted? Yes
Beautiful? Yes
Overpriced? No, this is a great deal
Original? NO!
FAIL.

While this is the vintage-crafty version of the off-brand, it still saddens me that this seller on Etsy is just selling look-alike items that don't have an imaginative, creative feel to them.

Is this the bane of popularity? I wonder if it is popular to spread love for creativity and uniqueness without inherently becoming less-unique. It seems like a paradox to me.

1 comment:

  1. have you seen http://www.regretsy.com/

    oh, how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete