2.08.2009

Publix v. Kroger - The Never-Ending Question


I have gotten so tired of people always saying how Kroger is so much cheaper than Publix that I have decided to put it to the test myself. It seems like there is a very strong stereotype that may not be justified. In fact, I used to shop at Kroger once a week for almost two years, and I feel that we have spent approximately 1/3 less money on food since we moved to a new neighborhood and discovered our nearby Publix. For us, I think that shopping at Publix lets us spend less, and I suspect that many of the items we buy are cheaper there. We'll see if I'm right!

My goal is to identify the 25 or so items that we regularly buy (and items I would like to buy is the price is right) and to list the prices from both stores. Unfortunately, the stores in my neighborhood do not both have the same organic items, so sometimes they won't match up perfectly.

Kroger Prices
  • Kashi Autumn Wheat $5.29
  • Multi-Grain Cheerios (big box) $4.29
  • Barilla Plus pasta $2.45
  • Newman's Own Coffee $8.25
  • TLC Crackers - original $3.29
  • TLC Crackers - all others $3.98
  • Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies $3.89
  • Natural Cheetos $3.99
  • Simply Orange juice $3.69
  • Simple Apple juice $3.19
  • Horizon Organic Milk (gallon) $5.69
  • California Pizza Kitchen pizza (large size) $7.29
  • Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream $3.99
  • Everyday Living Clean-up Wipes (75) $4.99
  • Everyday Living Clean-up Wipes (35) $2.59
  • Swiffer Refills (16) $4.69
  • Swiffer Refills (32) $8.99
  • 7th Generation Laundry Detergent (32 loads) $10.99
  • 7th Generation Fabric Softener (40 loads) $ 5.99
  • Nature's Gate Handsoap $5.29
  • Method Creamy Hand Wash $ 4.99
  • Method Hand Wash $3.79
  • Caress Body Wash $4.29
  • Reflexologie Shampoo & Conditioner $6.85
  • Aveeno Positively Radiant Moisturizer $14.49
  • Playtex Sport $4.36

No comments:

Post a Comment