2.28.2009

Boring Update

Round 1: Publix Wins!

Well, so far, Publix is winning my price comparison test at $6.29 cheaper overall than Kroger based on 24 items that I have managed to get prices for at both stores. I keep adding to my list as I buy new things (yes, I really have this much free time!), so it takes me about an hour to make a “quick” trip to the grocery store. Only 5 of the 24 items were priced higher at Publix. If you’re doing the math, that means 19 of the items are marked up – that’s almost 80%. There’s absolutely no order to the prices I am gathering. More to come!

Also, while I was running around the store with my pen in hand, I realized that I have been ripped off! I have been buying a giant 3-pack of tissues, because the smaller 3-pack I had been buying was cheaper. Lo and behold – the 3-pack is more expensive than buying 3 separate boxes! I feel personally assaulted. Not exaggerating.

Interesting fact from the video I’m watching called “Kilowatt Ours”: Apparently one in ten women have dangerous levels of mercury in their bodies as the result of burned coal. (yikes!)
Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a regular TV for about 3 hours!

Currently Reading:

Stolen Lives, by Malika Oufkir

Fascinating and sobering real-life account of the Oufkir family’s exile from Morocco after the father of the family died in a coup and was later accused of treason against the king. If you have the patience to get through a sad story (with a happy ending, since Malika has survived to tell the story), you will be shocked at the lengths that family went through while they were imprisoned, and the resilience people have to survive against all odds.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'd have to say that feeling personally assaulted by tissues probably offers a sad commentary on your day to day stresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I want to steal your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha if you want a mini-Lucy, there's a baby Schnauzer who needs a home! ;)

    ReplyDelete