3.22.2009

The Wonderful World of Reading


So I am a huge patron of libraries. I adore the concept that something in this world is free. I love that with a library card, any person can walk in, pick something up, walk out, and be all the better for it. I think one of the added benefits of libraries is the ability to place people on an equal footing. Even if you have the money, why buy something when you could borrow it for free? All that said, there are few things I find more thrilling than picking out a handful of books to sit and admire on your bookshelf while you wait for the perfect moment and mood in which to read them.

Chris and I took took full boxes of textbooks to McKay's Used Books on Charlotte Ave, and this is the coolest used bookstore I have ever seen!! They had about 8 people in the back of the store looking up trade-ins on the computer, and it only took about 30 minutes for us to hear about the small fortune of store credit they would give us in exchange for our books. This was a huge operation! Not only will I go there even in search of bargains and gifts, but I will never set foot in another used bookstore if I can help it. I've been in several where the trade-in value was minimal and the re-sell value too high to be worthwhile.

If you love to read, check out goodreads.com. I have an account there to keep track of what I read (so I don't have to remember), and to check out reviews from other people. There is even a way to mark reviews with Spoilers so you don't find out anything important before you've read the book.

2 comments:

  1. I also adore our public library! Neil and I go most saturdays to get books, CD's and DVD's....there is nothing better than enjoying a good book, movie or CD for free. I just signed up for goodreads.com a couple weeks ago, but I haven't really started using it yet, but perhaps I will give it a try!

    Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you actually start using it, look me up and we can see what the other is reading!

    ReplyDelete