7.02.2009

Intellectual Preaching


I am reading a book by Lauren Winner called Girl Meets God. When I first saw the title I thought it was yet another book about single Christians and purity. Turns out the author grew up in the orthodox Jewish faith, and as a young adult she converted to Christianity and became a member of the Episcopal Church. This quote comes from her book, while she daydreams about what it would be like to be a priest:

"I picture myself clad in a long, flowing chasuble, instructing my flock on the finer points of biblical interpretation, filling in on fuzzy historical details they might not know, inspiring them to lead a more committed Christian life."

What a great description of clergy! Sadly, I can only think of 2 ministers over my long history of church-hopping who have ever fit that description. Normally, I find that most are busy telling cute anecdotes about life that barely scrape the surface of depth and meaning in scripture.

Do you think most preaching falls this short of the mark in other places?

No comments:

Post a Comment