7.05.2009

What I Don't Believe

Chris and I were on our way home from a shopping trip (the first one we've taken in about 6 months - it was fun to go and refreshing to realize that the act of buying things has lost some of its excitement) when we started up a conversation about religion. We get into deep discussions a lot, but not often are they about religion.

I have been a Christian since high school, when I really was first introduced to the faith by a great friend. Since then, while I have always known that I am Christian, I have been generally unable to name the beliefs that I have and whether they even align with any particular denomination.

What I took away from our conversation that night was that it is very easy for me to name things I do not believe in...for instance, I don't believe hell exists, and for very specific reasons. At the same time, I don't have a clear vision of what heaven is, or what heaven looks like. I know I don't believe in the infallibility of the literal transcription of the Bible. There are so many transcriptions and translations, I cannot believe that each of them (or one above all others) is literally true. Instead, I believe that through prayer and study, God can reveal the truth through any version of Scripture, and that truth may not be the same as the literal meaning the words represent.

But there are so many more things that I cannot say for certain! It is much easier to disagree with something than it is to articulate a belief, as least for me. I think I am in a place in life now where I am searching for these answers and for a little more clarity and certainty.

1 comment:

  1. Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks about our conversations after they happen. :-P

    ReplyDelete