12.30.2009

Big Ideas!!!

So here is my big revelation: I am missing something exciting in my day-to-day life. In praying and trying to figure out what it is, I realized that I do not miss teaching in schools. I also desire something more complex and exciting than administrative work, even though it is something I do really well. Hind sight is always 20/20, and I'm not quite there yet, but I believe that God wants me to be doing more with teenagers on a day-to-day basis.

Ever since I left high school myself, I have gone back to work with my own youth group, I have volunteered at 3 other churches working with the youth programs on a regular basis, and I've worked a non-religious youth summer conference. Some of my very best memories from the last few years are from trips with teenagers and experiences in helping other people.

So, all that to say, I am praying and looking for the next step that will allow me to work more with teenagers in a very real way. I don't know if that even means a new job for me, yet, but I am open to the idea that I may have to be patient for a while. It may mean more intense volunteering commitments before I can even get a job. It may mean another non-profit environment like a tutoring program or a crisis center for teens. It may mean more involvement in church youth programs. It could even mean less 9-to-5 work and more private oboe lessons, which would be exciting. I don't really know. But I am willing to do whatever God has in store, and I hope I don't have to wait too long to know what that is.

Lots of my friends and family have been announcing big changes lately, and for some reason, in the midst of all that, I realized it was okay to be scared and jump into something major without knowing the direction or purpose!

Now my plan is to check out the job market in all kinds of cities and fields and wait for the right Next Step. Right. Sounds easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment