1.06.2010

Epicurious Wonderment

So I came across this link today for a seasonal foods map at Epicurious! I was super excited and checking out various states and their veggie schedule. And then, I started looking at Tennessee (this is where I live, people), and it occurs to me that this must be a commercial growing map! ARG! For example, my locally grown strawberries come in May and early June, but on the schedule they don't show up until July. July being an impossible time for local strawberries because of the heat.

How frustrating! Just when you think you've found something brilliant!


In better news, I have checked out this fabulous veggie cookbook from the library. I haven't cooked anything in it yet, but I am very encouraged!! I would recommend that you pick it up, except I don't plan on returning anytime soon...

2 comments:

  1. Have you used localharvest.org to find local, in-season produce? It's a great source for connecting directly with the farmers. I also got a cookbook, Simply in Season, for Christmas. It is organized into sections based on the foods that are in season at various times of the year. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Simple in Season! I should've mentioned it to you before, really. Isn't it amazing? I think there is only one recipe (maybe) in that book that I am less than thrilled with. I didn't hear about localharvest.org when we moved here, but I was actually playing around on it the other day checking out other places. It seems like a great resource.

    ReplyDelete