1.27.2010

The Not So Good Very Bad Day

Well today has narrowly avoided becoming a Very Bad Day. What happened, you ask? Well, with one staff member short on Wednesdays, no receptionist, a host of parishioners coming to vote in the church leadership election, the phone ringing off the hook, and about a dozen calls for financial assistance, I hardly had two seconds to accomplish any work. Needless to say, I didn't. However, after a somewhat unproductive staff meeting and a lovely snack of scones with cream (we have an English cook on our staff!), I decided to get over it. Truly! I just decided not to care anymore. Whatever I got done is great, and I can only expect so much of myself in one day.

Everyday, there is a window of time when people can come into the office for financial help with food, rent, or utility bills. After our staff meeting, there was a crowd of people waiting outside my office to see me for help. On some days, I have little patience and the interactions are totally draining. But today, the people who came in were so nice, and they seemed to be doing all of the right things to try to help themselves and their families. They were so grateful for my help, which only made me help them more. (You would be amazed at the people who come in with foul dispositions and no manners. It does NOT make someone want to help you.) I even gave one man homework so he could try and get food stamps for his family.

Those kinds of interactions make the rest of this worth it. When I am stuck copying and folding letters all morning, my day is completely brightened when I can help someone in need. This morning I said a short prayer and asked for help being joyous today. My prayer was answered in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment